Several nights a week I watch Man vs. Food on the Food Network and I am always intrigued by the amount of food this guy puts down! Now, I am not a salad bar kind of girl, but Adam Richman, host of his interesting show, must have a fierce workout regimen! I have yet to see a show filmed in Houston so I figured I would check it out for myself. Here is a list of Man. vs. Food type challenges in the Houston area. If you are up for it, we here at Urban Swank would love to hear about it. Good luck!
1. At Mel's Country Cafe, located at 24814 Stanolind Rd. in Tomball, Texas, the challenge is to finish the infamous "Mega Mel Burger". The Mega Mel Burger is 1 1/2 pounds of fresh ground, 1 pound of bacon, 1/4 pound of American cheese, and a ton of of lettuce, tomatoes, onions & pickles. If you complete The Mega Mel Burger in two (2) hours or less, your name will go on Mel's Wall of Fame. The burger will run you $19.95.
2. Little Bitty Burger Barn, located at 5503 Pinemont Dr. in Houston, Texas, has a burger challenge as well. However, "The Double Dare", is configured a bit differently. It is comprised of eight 1/4 pound patties, eight slices of cheese, topped with bacon, jalapenos and barbecue sauce on a bun. The challenge is the finish this oversized burger in 45 minutes of less. To attempt this feat, the cost is $19.95. If you complete the challenge, your name will go on the restaurant's wall and on their website. Pretty cool.
3. At Kenny & Ziggy’s, located at 2327 Post Oak Blvd. in Houston, Texas, "The Zellagabetsky" is the challenge. Also named, "The Sandwich That's Bigger Than Its Name," this eight-decker monster on special-cut rye includes corned beef, pastrami, turkey, roast beef, salami, tongue and Swiss cheese with cole slaw, Russian dressing and red sweet pepper! Can you say W.O.W! To complete this challenge successfully, you must finish this monster of a sandwich with no help. The sandwich is priced at $48. And guess what their prize is...you guessed it, a free piece of cheesecake! (SMH)
4. At the Don Carlos Mexican Restaurants, located in 3 Houston locations, the check is on them if you can finish a 5 pound ground sirloin burrito with cheese, lettuce, tomato, refried beans, and rice topped with beef chili gravy. This giant is called Senior Grande', The Texas Size Burrito. Try this challenge for only $19.95. It is valid for dine in only and there is no sharing! The catch - you must down this monster in 30 minutes or less!
5. Last but not least, foodies can attempt "The Cablinasian" at. Nick's Place, located at 2713 Rockyridge in Houston, Texas. Named for 1560 AM's Sean "The Cablinasian" Pendergast, this massive calzone has over one pound of Italian sausage and pepperoni, green bell pepper, marinara, ricotta & mozzarella cheese. To assist with this challenge, contenders are given a 22-ounce draft of their choice and one hour to complete it. If you finish, your name will go on their Wall of Fame.
Are we missing any? Have you completed a challenge? If so let us know.